The Best, Cheap, Refillable Vape Pod System Reviews
It’s safe to say that many people in the vaping industry were caught off guard by the rapid growth of e-cig and vape pod systems. While most vaping devices have been getting bigger, more powerful and increasingly advanced, e-cig pod mods are more like first generation e-cigarettes – low-powered, super compact and simple-to-use. But they offer one huge advantage – the’re the ideal platforms to use nicotine salt e-liquid.
If you’re a smoker looking to quit, or just want a compact and effective device to deliver nicotine, vape pods / e-cig pod systems are one of the best options to consider; primarily when they’re used with nicotine salts.
For many, e-liquid made with nicotine salt is much more satisfying than standard e-liquid because it delivers higher amounts of nicotine without the throat irritation or harshness.
Pros & Cons of E-Cig Pod Systems
Besides the benefits offered by using nicotine salts, the best vape pod systems offer a number of advantages over larger, more complicated sub-ohm devices. They also have a few downsides; especially if you’re an experience vaper:
- Simple and easy-to-use – Most pod mods are either inhale activated, or operated with a single button. There are no complicated screens or settings to worry about. Plus, pods are quick and easy to refill or replace.
- Compact, low profile designs – E-cig pod mods are sleek and much more compact than traditional box mods. Some are almost as small as a traditional cigarette! Discreetly tuck one in your pocket or just about anywhere.
- Super affordable – Although there are a few exceptions, e-cig pod systems are surprisingly affordable and will cost much less than than a complete sub-ohm device. On average, prices range from $20 to $40. And because nicotine salts are more effective at delivering nicotine, you’ll vape less frequently, consume less e-juice and reduce your long-term costs.
- More authentic experience – Designed to have a smooth, restrictive mouth-to-lung (MTL) style draw, most vape pod systems closely replicate smoking a traditional cigarette. Ideal if you’re looking to quit.
- Less power, reduced vapor – One of the biggest downsides to a pod mod is that they’re low-powered and provide limited vapor output.
- Lack of control – For the most part, you will not be able to customize your vaping experience with a vape pod system. Power output is normally fixed and your coil and atomizer options will be limited.
Best Closed Pod Vape Kits (Not Refillable)
Although a growing number pod vape systems are considered “open” (or refillable – see below), if you don’t want to refill pods yourself or worry about replacing coils, a closed pod is the most convenient option and perfect for beginners. Here are our top picks for the best e-cig pod systems in this category:
- Compact and easy-to-use
- Similar experience to smoking
- Wide availability
- Excellent performance for its size
- Limited battery life
- Kits / pods are expensive
The Juul e-cigarette is undoubtedly the best selling pod on the market, primarily because of its compact design, ease-of-use and wide availability. Oh… and it performs exceptionally well too; especially considering its size.
Although it has limited battery capacity (200 mAh), the Juul isn’t much larger than a traditional cigarette and it’s tight, MTL-style draw is perfect for transitioning smokers who are trying to quit. It’s not the longest lasting or most affordable option on the market, but the Juul e-cigarette is definitely one of the best vapes within the closed system category.
SMPO Vape Pod System
- Sleek, modern design
- Long lasting 650 mAh battery
- Modestly sized 1.8 ml pods
- Great MTL vaping experience
- Limited flavor choices
- Non-traditional shape
One of the only closed pod systems that isn’t shaped like a pen, the SMPO Pod Vape Kit has a larger battery than devices like the Juul (650mAh) so you’ll get significantly more battery life before needing a recharge. It also has larger 1.8 ml pods so you’ll be doing a lot less swapping out too.
The SMPO vape pod is inhale activated and modernly styled with attractive carbon fiber accents. A close runner up to the Juul, it’s non-traditional shape and limited flavor choices are the only potential downsides.
- Widely available almost everywhere
- Modestly sized 350 mAh battery
- Compact and easy-to-use
- Decent selection of flavors
- Performance could be improved
- Larger than the Juul
A new option in closed pod system space is the MyBlu Pod Kit from Blu Cigs. Widely known for their disposable, convenience store e-cigs, Blu recently purchased Von Erl and re-branded their My Von Erl Starter Kit.
Identical to the original, other than its branding, the MyBlu E-Cig Pod Kit is widely available and a direct threat to the Juul. It has a larger 350 mAh battery and 1.5 ml pre-filled pods, but we think the Juul works a little bit better. Either way, the MyBlu is an affordable option worth considering.
- Ceramic coils produce great flavor
- Decent battery and pod capacity
- Reliable, consistent performance
- Unique hexahedron shape
- Limited flavor choices
- Not as widely available
Another direct competitor to the Juul e-cigarette, the MLV Phix Vape Pod Kit offers a slightly larger battery (280 mAh) and higher capacity pre-filled pods (1.5 ml) to keep it running longer and requiring less maintenance.
Although it’s not as widely available, it works almost exactly like the Juul and has a unique hexahedron chassis with high-quality cCell Ceramic Coils. Another excellent performer in the closed pod system space, it has the tightest draw of the bunch and produces outstanding, consistent flavor.
Best Refillable Pod Vape Kits
They might be slightly more complicated, but open e-cig pods are much more flexible than closed systems, allowing you to refill the pods with your favorite nic salt e-juice multiple times – and ultimately saving you money. Here are our top picks for the best vape pods in the open category:
- Sleek and attractive design
- 2 ml refillable cartridge
- Simple one-button operation
- Long-lasting 650 mAh battery
- Coils must be replaced
- No auto activation
Compact, stylish and refillable, the Joyetech Exceed Edge Vape Pod Kit is undoubtedly one of best e-cig pod systems on the market right now. Perfectly suited for nicotine salt e-liquid, it’s sleek and attractive and includes a long-lasting 650 mAh battery with a refillable 2 ml cartridge.
It has an ergonomically shaped, two-tone pen-style chassis and comes with two 1.2 ohm MTL coil heads that can be easily swapped out for up to 25 watts of output. Just fill it up, press the button and vape away!
Also available at: Vapor DNA (“DNA10”)
- Super slim, card-style design
- Modestly-sized 400 mAh battery
- Refillable 2.2 ml cartridges
- Inhale activation
- Battery life could be better
We had a tough time choosing between the Suorin Air and Sourin Drop, but the Air won out because of it’s ultra compact, card-style design. Although it’s not quite as small as a pen-style device, it’s much smaller than most and offers decent battery life (400 mAh) and e-liquid capacity (2.2 ml).
The Sourin Air is super slim and can fit discreetly your pocket – or just about anywhere. It’s inhale activated, and the plug-and-play refillable pod cartridges can be reused multiple times before needing to be replaced.
- Compact, all-in-one design
- Large 650 mAh battery
- Refillable 2 ml tank
- Inhale or button activated
- Slightly larger than competitors
- Fixed tank with replaceable coils
It’s not necessarily a “vape pod system” per se (it has a permanent, built-in 2ml glass tank), but the Aspire Breeze E-Cig Kit is a compact, easy-to-use low voltage system that’s perfect for use with nicotine salt e-juice.
It has has a large, long-lasting battery (650 mAh), 2 ml of capacity and is compatible with Aspire’s high performance 0.6 ohm U-Tech Coils. It can be either inhale activated or operated with a single fire button and has a sleek, ergonomic design that makes it a worthy pod mod alternative.
- Compact and stylish design
- Modest 450mAh battery
- Slim, refillable 2ml pods
- Inhale activated
- Unique style may not appeal to everyone
The Kado Stealth Ultra Portable Pod Mod Kit is a unique, compact and stylish vape pod system. Like the Sourin Air, it’s super slim in stature and incorporates 2ml refillable pods with a modestly-sized 450mAh battery.
The Kado Stealth is inhale activated and is available in black with several stylish accent colors. Designed specifically for use with nicotine salt e-liquid, it’s definitely one of the better looking pod vape systems on the market.
- Traditional pen-shaped design
- Super compact and affordable
- Refillable 2ml pods
- Inhale activated
- Limited battery life
Finally, if you’re looking for a small, pen-shaped device but don’t want to be forced to pay extra for prefilled pods, the Smok Fit and Infinix E-Cig Pod Kits are super affordable alternatives to the Juul and MLV Phix Kits (above).
The two are virtually identical in terms of operation, with subtle aesthetic differences to mimic the Juul and Phix. Both kits include 250mAh batteries, are automatic, refillable and can hold 2ml of e-liquid.
Also available at: Breazy.com (“CIGBUYER”)
What is The Best Refillable Vape Pod According To You?
These are our top picks, but there are certainly many more options to consider. What are your favorite pod systems and why? Did we miss any notable options? Let us know in the comments below!